Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So Wednesday is the new Tuesday

because well, Tuesday is the new Monday. At least for this week.

Monday night I got back from my first of many weekends in Chicago. Friday morning, I left for the Long beach airport and thankfully there wasn't a horrific tornado outside waiting to ruin my trip. On the contrary, there was a lovely rainbow that appeared on the drive.
The flight itself was good as I was flying JetBlue. I really have nothing negative to say about the airline but I do hope they'll start flying out of John Wayne Airport though I understand it's probably way cheaper for them to fly out of Long Beach. Darn John Wayne Airport and their high fees to airlines. Or, I could also enjoy it more if they had more flights from LGB and from ORD going back. It's the same plane servicing that route so once it gets into Chicago, the plane is cleaned and it goes back to LGB. Anywho, back to my trip.

The flight was nice and I got into ORD and found my baggage. The boyfriend picked me up in his new car! How exciting, he now has a backseat and a trunk (he used to drive a truck)! We went to his temporary place at his aunt's about 30 minutes outside of the city. It was so exciting to see snow on the ground. I've seen snow before but it's still exciting. So we had dinner with the fam and then his aunt dropped us off at our hotel in the city because parking is ridiculously expensive.

Saturday we woke up a bit late and headed to Hot Doug's. We took a taxi there because it was a bit far and not near any of the train lines. When we got there the line was ridiculous. It was a bit cold but we braved the 2 hour line with plenty of other first timers. Finally we got in and I had to contain myself. But we did gorge ourselves on duck fat fries, a foie gras dog, a lamb and beef dog, a chicago dog, and a corn dog. Fatties... we weren't hungry the rest of the day (that didn't mean we didn't eat... like I said... fatties). The foie gras dog was the most amazing thing I've ever eaten in regards to a hot dog. Boyfriend wasn't that exciting over the infamous duck fat fries but I felt like there was a little something different to them. I couldn't stop eating them so they must have been delicious. I almost forgot to take pictures but here's a few pics of what we enjoyed (don't mind the bites we took before remembering to take pictures):
The foie gras dog
Duck fat fries
Chicago dog with everything
The lamb and beef gyro dog and the corn dog

After we met up with his cousin who's studying in Chicago. After some coffee, tea, and good conversation, we went out seperate ways. The boyfriend and I headed back towards out hotel on North Michigan. Along the way we did a little shopping. I found the trench I've been wanting since Fall at Banana Republic in my size AND petites for an additional 40% of the sale price! Boyfriend bought it for me and I got him a cute sweater that was also 40% off the sale price. I tried not to look at too many more things for fear of what I'd buy so we walked out successful and stopped off for a cupcake. It was almost closing so there wasn't much to choose from. I went with a smore's cupcake and oh my was it delish! It wasn't too sweet and the cake was very moist.
Chocolate smore's cupcake with frosting in the middle? Yes, please!

We headed back to the hotel to rest up for a bit and then headed out again to the Billy Goat Tavern. Great little infamous bar with good drinks and cheezborgers. We got a double to share because we weren't too hungry and had a few drinks. Then we decided to get a little late night sushi around the corner. After we called it a night so that we could get up early the next day.

Sunday we got some dunkin' donuts and then headed to get Intelligensia for some coffee. After our morning coffee we headed to Millennium Park and I finally got to see the bean.
Us! The Bean was a bit wet from the rain. But how cute are the earmuffs boyfriend got me!

After, we scoped out living spaces for the boyfriend. I'd say apartment but I feel like that would make you think he'd be getting a place you could walk around in. Hah. In reality he just needs a small studio because he'll be traveling a lot for work and won't really need much space and it will be cheaper. Pretty much just a place to store his things. We got a good idea of what he'll probably be getting but hopefully we find something better when he gets back from his first business trip. That evening we had dinner with his aunts, uncle, cousin and cousin's girlfriend. We got Malaysian food and oh goodness was it yum. Now I need to find a place near home. After we headed back to pick up some stuff and then head back to the city for our last night together before I left.

Monday, the boyfriend left for work and I had the day to myself before my 5:50pm flight. So I decided to get some tea and figure out what to do the rest of the day (well for like 3 hours). I decided to head to the Shedd Aquarium because they were having their community discount day where part of the Aquarium is free and since I knew I wouldn't be able to spend too much time there, doing something free was good. Also I didn't feel like walking around in the cold snow flurries. The aquarium was great but I do wish boyfriend had gone with me. I don't like doing things too much on my own but it was still fun.
I love ducks.

Hello Mr. Turtle Hello fishy. Sorry you're blurry, I didn't want to blind you with my flash.

Monkey! So this is the amazon rainforest eh?
From the Amazon to the Caribbean Reef! So pretty. There was a turtle and a fish that liked to swim together. hehe.

After an hour I got bored being on my own and it was time to go anyway. Headed back to pick up my luggage and then off to O'hare! A few hours later I was back in Long Beach and ready to get to bed.

Tuesday I was absolutely lazy and my internet decided it did not want to work. So instead of fixing it I did nothing. But I did work on my art projects... more on those later!

No comments:

Post a Comment