Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Accountant? No. Interior Designer? Yes.

As my first real post, I find that it is only appropriate that it be about one of the biggest changes in my life to date. 2010's theme "Life changes, I'll survive" is holding true as January will provide to be the most difficult month but on that bright sunny side (because there usually is one), that would mean it can't get too much more worse after (knock on wood because sometimes life likes to prove me wrong).

Seeing as how I really haven't introduced much about myself, I'll do a little background. I graduated from the University of California, Irvine in March 2008 with a major in econ and a minor in accounting. After vigorous interviews, two years of grueling part time work in accounting, and four job offers, I found what I thought was a dream job which I started in August of 2008. Oh how college clouds one's image of public accounting's true nature. The glitz and glamour of public accounting soon wore off and the economy spiraled. Surviving five rounds of layoff, my luck wore out and my number came up as boyfriend's company took two of my major clients leaving me with nothing. As this was a great opportunity to leave public for private, I realized on a greater level, this was a better opportunity to get out of accounting. I've always had an interest in interior design and this was a great time for my to realize it (saying it's a dream seems a bit dramatic and I find my life could do without drama as much as possible). I know it will be difficult as I'm nervous about being on the lower end of the creativity scale but exciting because it is everything that I'm not. And seeing as how I'm not too excited about how I am, I'm willing to embrace everything I am not. Thankfully, I also have so much love and support from boyfriend (as he is responsible for my lack of a job so he owes me).

So good bye well paid, safe and practical accounting life and hello UCLA architecture and interior design program.

Edit: So I had my first class tonight. It's a fundamentals of interior design class and I think I can safely say that I enjoy the material. I see myself staying through class even though there are no tests on any material learned in class so I really wouldn't have to stay except to learn. Tonight I learned that in silk does not hold up very well in the basic rooms of Las Vegas hotels. It's important interior design decisions like these that keep Vegas in business. Anyway, can't wait for my art class tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment