Sunday, April 11, 2010

Second Quarter in Full Swing!

I'm deep in week two and loving it. Thought it was going to be more overwhelming but it hasn't been too bad so far. Here's a few pics from week one of my design communication class. Nothing too crazy. It's the first of three classes for architectural drafting essentially. Plus working on my artistic sketching ability.
It's all about the basics! This was just a piece on line quality in regards to light to dark weights and having good printing skills. Nothing crazy.

OK so I'm really not much of an artist. I was decent as a child, occasionally doing well in art class but I really haven't drawn much since I was oh, 10? So we had to do self portraits. I used a technique learned last quarter in elements of design to draw myself from a picture. I wouldn't consider it cheating but I would say rather it made me use more of the left side of my brain to create the picture side the right side of my brain is somewhat inadequate in comparison to others. Let's just say I hope I look better in person =). But my professor was pleased and had only a few remarks in regards to bettering it.

For my elements of design II class, we're focusing on 3D whereas last quarter was 2D work. So for project 1 we played around with some note cards and explored the beauty of folds. Essentially we made four groups of three cards: each card in the group having one fold in the first card, two folds in the second card, and three folds in the third card. Then we played around with the cards and took pictures of them from different angles. It's a bit complicated to describe but really simple to do. So instead of showing you all 57 pictures, I'll just show you one.
This was from the last group of pictures where we glued the three cards together in an interesting way and then did the same exact thing to two other sets and put them together to create this cute little sculpture. So my next few projects build upon this project which I'm sort of excited for. I was a bit intimidated the first day when our teacher showed up portfolios of the projects we will be doing this quarter. But I'm also excited because I know completing these projects successfully will feel really good too. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment