Monday, May 3, 2010

SF/Sonoma Wedding Weekend (Part 2) - What I Ate

One of the best things about vacations, and just life in general, is eating. Sometimes I look at my pup who constantly wants to eat and I wonder how it is that she is always at my feet flashing those sad puppy dog eyes at me hoping I'll give in and share. And then I realize maybe she gets it from me since I feel like I'm always hungry or at least down to eat. Anyway, the morning after the amazing rehearsal dinner (wish I had gotten pictures), we decided to go to a cute little cafe in Santa Rosa that we had found on yelp, Dierk's Parkside Cafe. It definitely lived up to its four star rating. We got there around 10am and it was crowded but getting a table for six only took about ten minutes which was really great. We sat down and started with waters, coffees, and soju bloody mary's. Boyfriend got the smoked salmon egg tart pictured below with smoked salmon, mushrooms, tomatoes, and herbs in puff pastry shell. Totally delish and not as heavy as I thought it would be when I sampled a bit (this is why I stay in a relationship[jk babe!], the sharing of dishes).
I got the country benedict. I love a good eggs benedict and it's really hard for me to resist ordering it when I come across it on a menu. The benedict consisted of a warm crispy baguette covered with scrambled eggs, bacon, mushrooms, spinach, oven-dried tomatoes, hash browns and hollandaise sauce. Sooo good and a bit heavy but totally worth it. And the strawberry was huge and amazingly sweet.
After brunch we went wine tasting and then to downtown Healdsburg to wander about. We decided to get a bit of lunch before heading back to the hotel to get ready for the wedding. It was such a beautiful day we decided on Healdsburg Bar and Grill since it had a patio for us to enjoy the sun (hence the dark shadowy pictures). We weren't too hungry so Boyfriend said he'd share with me. We went with the "very adult" mac n’ cheese with fiscalini cheddar, parmigiano-reggiano, bacon, dijon and chives and mixed greens. Umm I think I almost died it was sooo good.
We also ordered a basket of fries with truffle oil and parmigiano-reggiano and a side of horseradish. I'm not too huge on horseradish but this was very mild. Everyone else thought they could go step it up on the horseradish but they're bigger fans of it than me. And well truffle oil goes amazing on everything. The fries themselves were perfectly crispy... mmMm...
I failed to get pictures of the rest of the Sonoma trip but back in SF my big sis and I decided to try some Burmese food since it was on 7X7's 100 things to eat before you die list. I was a little hesitant at first seeing as how I barely know where Burma (Myanmar?) even is. But how glad was I? Answer: really glad. We went for lunch as I hear it gets ridiculously busy for dinner. We had the server recommend a few things and tried their famous dish. To start we had the tea leaf salad. It was sooo delicious with amazing flavors. Definitely my favorite of the day.
Next up was the infamous Samusa soup. It's vegetarian but was still very hearty and yummy.
Finally, we went with the Nan Gyi Gok which was a mild coconut chicken curry noodle dish. Yummy but not as curry coconut-ty as I had hoped.

1 comment:

  1. yumm! i could definitely dig into the mac n cheese and fries!! oh and the noodles!

    ReplyDelete