Thursday, February 4, 2010

Week 4: Project 3

So this week's project for my design class was somewhat of a continuation of the ideas from last week. We had to work on manipulating positive and negative space, value pattern, shape relationships, and continuity. To begin, we had to complete at least12 sketches.


I ended up doing 16 because I didn't like a few of them and they didn't really solve the problem in the way I had anticipated. Most of my mistakes were made in the beginning, so I corrected myself quickly. Essentially, the project would start as a 6"x6" black and white composition that incorporated a figure/ground reversal and had an obvious horizontal, vertical or diagonal axis in a single non repeating motif.


It was a bit hard to decide which one to go with but I eventually picked the one in the left row, third one down. I took the 2"x2" sketch and turned it into a 6"x6" for the first panel (top left). For the second panel (top right) I made 4 photocopies of the first panel at 50% and stacked them 2 up and 2 down within a 6" picture plane, retaining the original orientation. For the third panel (bottom left), I did the same thing I did for panel two but I used panel two instead of panel one. And the same thing for panel four, using panel three instead of panel two.


So after matting them all together, I finished the project. Seemed easier than it really was and looks fairly cool. We had one on one critiques tonight which was a bit intimidating since she asked us how we went about it and what we saw going on with it but I had a decent answer and got good reviews on it so yay! I was a bit worried she'd see my lack of precision. It has gotten much better than last week but still needs improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment