Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Apartment hunting

So after a little over a month of being in Brazil, boyfriend got to leave a day earlier than planned and arrived at ORD on Friday morning. I left LGB at about 11am and got there at just before 5pm. He picked me up and after figuring out parking near the 'L (Parking in the city costs about $30 a day, while parking in the suburbs but near the trains to the city costs $9. So 3 days of parking = 1 day in the city. No point in paying that much!) we were off to the Loop. Stayed at a boutique hotel that we used Priceline.com for and it was just ok. The loop is fairly expensive and I down-graded my usual to a 3-star stay and I guess I'd say it really was a 3-star stay... sadly. But anyway we spent the entire weekend scouring Lakeview and Lincoln Park for studios since boyfriend travels four out of ever seven weeks ish. We saw a lot of iffy places and places that were ok within our price range. Luckily we found a pretty good space with the only issue being it has carpet and boyfriend prefers wood floors. But it seems he's willing to let go of that because the place is one of the biggest we've seen and in a great neighborhood near what was described as a Whole Foods, but better (We went in and agreed) and really close to little stores and restaurants. We even tried a few and were pleased. 15minute walk to the train and plenty of buses around so it'll be nice. Here's a little peak at the space.It's not that we didn't find decent size studios (well some were horribly tiny) but they just had weird, inefficient layouts and I do not enjoy bad design. So we're waiting to hear back from the landlord on a few questions but I'm really hoping this works out.

So if you're wondering about the sudden decrease in projects for my classes, it's because I've only had one for my design class since and I really struggled with it last week. Spent and entire day working on a design that never happened. Settled with what I thought looked decent on paper and then once painted did not achieve it's intention. And I hated the colors I painted it. I'm re-doing it today actually so hopefully a better post on my project to come. But I'm off to Chicago again this weekend so might be a bit longer before another posts shows up. It's St. Patty's weekend and that should be extra fun in Chicago this weekend! Hopefully we won't be stuck looking at more places and we can go out and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment